Reasons to Update your Government Resume
- Categorized in: Resume Writing
There are many reasons behind why you should update your government resume. Getting a Federal job is no small task and as the old saying goes, “The cream always rises to the top.” That alone is enough for you to want to go check and make sure your government resume is up to par, but there are many other reasons why as well.
Here are some of the reasons you should make sure your government resume is up to snuff:
• KSAs are being phased out: As it stands now, your best shot at getting a Federal job is by getting a great score on your Knowledge Skills, and Abilities, or KSA questionnaire. This will all change soon however as the government is already working on scraping the KSAs. The biggest reason for the government doing this is so that they can rely more on an individual’s resume rather than their KSAs. Whether you like or dislike the KSAs, once they are gone only those with the most polished of government resumes will be able to stand out from the rest and will thus be the frontrunners for the position.
• Makes sure information is fresh: Again, you are applying for work with the Federal government, not a fast food chain somewhere. Many Federal jobs go to those who have a resume that really sizzles and sets itself apart from the crowd. Now imagine a prospective Federal employer reading your resume over only to find some information on it that is out of date. Do you really think you are going to get the call for an interview now? By constantly updating your resume you are keeping it fresh and full of facts that are still up to date.
• Makes sure information is relevant: With the phasing out of the KSAs, your government resume will now have to be costumed tailored to fit the job vacancy in which you wish to apply. If you do not update your government resume before you turn it in for consideration, you may be turning in a resume with little to no relevance for that particular job. Once again, someone else is going to receive that call for the interview.
• Gives you a chance to beef up your words: Your government resume is what is going to sell you to the prospective Federal employer. Perhaps it has been a while since you updated your government resume. Now is the perfect opportunity to beef up your words and use keywords and phrases that Federal employees like to see. Even if your government resume was good before, now you have the chance to make it great.
Just as with any private sector job, your resume is what tells your story. Now with the phasing out of the KSAs it is more important than ever to make sure your resume is fresh, relevant, and chalk full of keywords and phrases that Federal employers like. By updating your government resume now, you are going to increase your chances of landing the Federal job you have always wanted and know you deserve.
Government Job Links
- Government Job Openings
- New to Government Jobs?
- Government Employment